Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » May » Discarded cigarette causes fire

Discarded cigarette causes fire

Firefighters from Worcester were called to the Otter Lane address at 11.15pm, arriving to find the fire already out, with a lawn mower and plastic furniture in the garden destroyed by fire and minor damage to the house. The crew used one hose reel to damp down and thermal imaging equipment to ensure there was no further spread of fire.

There was no one injured during the incident and the stop message was given shortly after midnight.

With the fire believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette end, Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is re-issuing it safety advice for smokers, reminding them to dispose of their cigarettes and other smoking materials with care and to be extra vigilant during prolonged spells of hot dry weather.