Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » July » Kitchen fire in Ledbury

Kitchen fire in Ledbury

Two fire engines from Ledbury were dispatched to a flat in Lawnside Road at 11.35pm on Friday evening (22 July) after cooking left unattended in the oven at the address caught fire.


While the fire in the kitchen was out as crews arrived, there was extensive smoke logging in the flat, and so firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the premises and used a hose reel jet to ensure the fire was fully extinguished and then positive pressure ventilation equipment to clear the smoke.

Station Commander Adrian Thompson from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that the occupant was given advice on safe cooking following the incident, as well as advice on the importance of having working smoke alarms and having an escape route planned in case of fire. Other households in the immediate area were also offered home fire safety advice.

Station Commander Thompson added: "We've been called to several kitchen fires recently where the occupier has gone out or gone to bed, leaving their cooking unattended. The food has then overheated and caught fire, but thankfully has been noticed before any significant damage has been caused. However such incidents have the potential to be very serious and so we are keen to remind people to keep a watchful eye on their cooking at all times, and to get into the habit of double checking cooking appliances are switched off before leaving the house or going up to bed."