Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » March » House fire, Redditch

House fire, Redditch

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) was alerted to the incident at 9.40am after a neighbour noticed smoke and raised the alarm. Two crews from Redditch were at the house in Brinklow Close within minutes and were joined by further crews from Warwickshire (Studley and Alcester) and a third pump from Redditch.


Crews found a fire in a ground floor utility area of the two-storey property, which they brought under control with four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and the use of two high pressure hose reels. Positive pressure ventilation equipment was also used to help clear the smoke.

Station Commander Steve Fox from HWFRS said: "While no one was injured as a result of this fire, there was extensive fire damage to the utility and cloakroom area where the fire started as well as to the hall, stairs and landing. There was also smoke damage throughout the house and sadly the family parrot perished as a result of the incident as well."

He praised the neighbour for raising the alarm, saying that damage to the house would have been even worse without this early alert.

The cause of the fire was being linked to an electrical fault on the washing machine.

Before leaving the area, crews called at other homes in the vicinity to offer home fire safety advice and also fitted smoke alarms in a neighbouring property.