Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2010 » October » Fire Service issue warning on unattended cooking

Fire Service issue warning on unattended cooking

in News

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service are warning people never to leave cooking unattended following a kitchen fire at a property in Rowland Rutter Court in Pershore yesterday afternoon (Monday 25 October).


One fire engine from Pershore and two from Evesham attended the incident, following an alert just after 1pm.

Station Commander Mark Strutt explained: "We understand that a woman at the address had started preparing her lunch and had then fallen asleep while she waited for the food to cook.

"Fortunately she woke up and was able to switch off the cooker, close the door behind her as she left the property and then call the fire service."

Two firefighters in breathing apparatus went into the address and used a high pressure hose reel and a main line jet to ensure the fire was fully extinguished. Ventilation equipment was then used to remove smoke from the property.

The woman was treated at the scene for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Station Commander Strutt added: "Thankfully this was only a small fire but it could easily have been more serious if the woman had not woken up when she did.

"It certainly illustrates just how important it is to keep an eye on your cooking at all times.

"Our advice to anyone discovering a fire in the kitchen would be to isolate the power to the cooker if it is safe to do so, to close the kitchen door, leave the building and then alert the Fire Service."

He also stressed how important it is to have a working smoke alarm fitted and to check it regularly.