Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » October » Candle Safety Warning After Fire in Droitwich

Candle Safety Warning After Fire in Droitwich

in News

The Service was alerted to the incident in Thatchers Green, Droitwich just after 4.30am on Saturday morning (27 October) and two fire crews from Droitwich Fire Station attended. Firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the fire in a bedroom of the first floor flat with one hose reel and one covering jet used.

atch Commander Michael James from HWFRS explained: “It would seem that the occupant had lit a candle in his bedroom and then fallen asleep before putting the candle out. He then awoke to find his quilt on fire and the flat full of smoke.”

He confirmed that the man was out of the flat as crews arrived but that he had burnt his hands and was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation. The man’s cat also died in the incident.

There was extensive fire damage in the bedroom, with the bed itself destroyed, and there was also smoke damage throughout the rest of the flat.

atch Commander James added: “Candle safety is always a key part of our winter safety campaign and we would like to take this opportunity to remind people about using candles with care.”

HWFRS advises that:

  • Never leave candles unattended. Put burning candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re out completely at night.
  • Place your candles carefully. Make sure they are on a stable surface, out of the reach of pets and children, and keep them away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture, bedding and books.
  • Don’t move candles once they are lit.
  • Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare.
  • Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, out of drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, soot, and dripping.
  • Put candles out with a snuffer or a spoon - sparks can fly if you blow them out.
  • Always put scented candles in a heat resistant holder. These candles are designed to liquify when heated to maximise fragrance.
  • Fit a smoke alarm and test it regularly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.