Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » June » Tumble drier fire

Tumble drier fire

Two fire engines from Redditch were at the address within minutes, and two firefighters in breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet were used as the fire was brought under control. Crews then used positive pressure ventilation equipment to clear the smoke from the house.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the tumble drier.

Station Commander Steve Fox from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said: “The family escaped the property unharmed but there was extensive smoke damage throughout the property.”

He recommended that anyone discovering a fire in their home closes internal doors before leaving if it is safe to do so, as this will help minimise the impact of smoke damage. He also urged people to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted on every floor of their home and that they test the alarms are working on a regular basis.

The British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service (FESS) also attended to offer help and advice to the family following the fire.