Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2017 » June » Worcester chip shop fire

Worcester chip shop fire

in News

Smoke alarms save lives 2

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) were called to reports of a fire in Broad Street, Worcester at 2345hrs on Monday 26 June.

Three fire engines from Worcester Fire Station arrived swiftly at the scene to a fire in the ground floor kitchen of the premises.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were quickly deployed and extinguished the fire with a hose reel jet with minimal damage to the premise. One positive pressure ventilation fan was used to help remove the heated air and smoke and replace it with fresher air to the property. An elderly male was given precautionary checks by paramedics on the scene.

Phil Berry, Station Commander on scene said: "The premises had working smoke alarms which quickly raised the alarm and enabled the occupier to evacuate quickly and firefighters to extinguish the fire rapidly."

He continued: "We urge all people to fit a working smoke alarm on every level of their home and ensure they are tested on a weekly basis."

If you require any advice on fire safety or you would like to see if you qualify for a free Home Fire Safety Check, please call the Community Risk department on 0800 032 1155. More information on fire safety can also be found on our website at hwfire.org.uk