Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » June » House fire, Worcester

House fire, Worcester

Three fire engines from Worcester attended, and crews arrived to find a severe fire in the first floor and roof space of the two-storey mid-terraced house. Six firefighters in breathing apparatus and two hose reels were used as the fire was extinguished.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an overloaded plug adaptor in a bedroom, with a television set left on standby.

Station Commander Ian Jallands from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said: “While there was a smoke alarm fitted in the house, it had been disconnected from the battery and it was only thanks to a neighbour noticing the fire that the three occupants were able to evacuate safely.”

He said that that fire was extremely intense and caused major damage in the bedroom.

He continued: “There are three key messages from this incident. Firstly, fit smoke alarms on every level of your home and test they are working on a weekly basis. There really could have been a very different outcome if the neighbour had not noticed the fire.

“Secondly, avoid overloading sockets and get into the habit of unplugging electrical items when not in use rather than leaving them on standby.

“Thirdly, ensure your key documents and valuables are kept in a secure box or folder to protect them from fire or flood. Thankfully one of the occupants had put his passport etc into a folder and this was saved from the worst effects of the fire.”

The British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service (FESS) also attended the incident to offer help and advice to the family following the fire.