Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » November » Chip pan fire

Chip pan fire

Crews from Stourport and Kidderminster attended, and brought the fire under control with four firefighters in breathing apparatus, and two hose reels, one covering jet and a dry powder extinguisher used.

The male occupant, who was outside the property as fire crews arrived, suffered slight smoke inhalation during the incident and was cared for at the scene by firefighters until paramedics arrived.

There was fire damage in the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the rest of the property.

Watch Commander Len Rees from HWFRS said: “Fortunately the man noticed the smoke and was able to get out of his home and call for help. Our crews then contained the fire in the kitchen but it could have been a different story all too easily.”

He confirmed that there was a smoke alarm fitted upstairs in the house but it had no batteries in it.

He added: “It’s vital to have a working smoke alarm and we can’t stress enough the importance of testing your alarm on a regular basis. Working smoke alarms can and do save lives by giving you the extra seconds needed to escape a fire in your home.”

He urged people to check their own smoke alarms are working on a regular basis and to check that their elderly family members or neighbours also have working alarms. He also reminded people to keep an eye on their cooking at all times and to be extra vigilant if using hot fat. Oven chips or thermostatically controlled deep fat fryers are a safer option.