Multiple crews attended fire in Terrace Property in Droitwich
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) was called in the early hours of Saturday 27th January (approx. 02:47am) to a property fire in Woodman's Rise, Droitwich.
Two fire engines from Droitwich Fire Station were deployed, on arrival crews were met with a developing fire that involved both the ground and first floor of an end terrace property and immediately requested the support of a further three fire engines (Worcester and Bromsgrove).
The residents discovered the fire in the rear of the house, raising the alarm and quickly escaped and remained outside. Multiple crews wearing breathing apparatus were deployed to tackle the blaze and to stop it spreading to the adjoining property. HWFRS crews extinguished the fire with hosereel jets, cutting away and removing debris.
Crews evacuated neighbouring properties in conjunction with colleagues from West Mercia Police. Everybody involved worked hard to stop the fire affecting any other properties.
Watch Commander Chris Jelfs said: "The family did the right thing by getting out immediately and staying out until we arrived. The fire is believed to have been caused by a tumble dryer."
Chris added "Some simple safety tips to help prevent tumble dryer fires are: Remove the lint from the trap after every load of clothes is dried, do not cover the vent or any other opening, ensure the vent pipe is free of kinks and is not crushed in anyway, only use recommended vent pipes, and not improvised ones, only vent the warm air to the outside of a building, do not put rags or materials into your tumble dryer if they have been used to soak up flammable liquids."
HWFRS recommend smoke alarms are fitted and are tested weekly, as part of our commitment to reducing the number of fires in the home, HWFRS offers free Home Fire Safety Checks to residents across the two counties. For a check please contact our Community Risk team via our on-line form or call 0800 032 1155 for advice.