Celebrate in safety, warns Fire Service
Station Commander Grant Wills from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) said: "With the prospect of an extended weekend and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, many people will be holding street parties or get-togethers with family and friends and we want to be sure that everyone stays safe, especially if they are planning to cook outside or celebrate using fireworks."
He urged people to take note of the Service's barbecue safety advice:
- Never light a barbecue near the house, garage, fence or trees.
- Never use petrol, paraffin or other flammable liquids to get your barbecue started - barbecue lighter fuel or firelighters are a much safer option.
- Always have a bucket of water or hose pipe to hand as a precautionary measure.
- Never leave your barbecue unattended.
- Only move your barbecue once it is completely cool and never tip hot ashes directly into plastic dustbins or wheelie bins as they could easily melt.
He also urged anyone planning to use fireworks to take care, saying: "Fireworks can be dangerous if misused and we'd urge anyone planning to let off fireworks themselves to follow the same safety advice we issue each November."
- Use only fireworks marked with British Standard Kitemark BS 7114.
- Keep fireworks in a closed metal box and take them out one at a time.
- Always follow the instructions carefully when using them. Read them in daylight or by torchlight, never by a naked flame.
- Light the firework at arm's length with a taper and stand well back.
- Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks
- Never go back to a firework once it is lit. Even if it hasn't gone off, it could still explode.
He added: "If you're going to be the person in charge of the cooking or the fireworks, avoid drinking alcohol and be sure to keep children and pets well away from both at all times."
He also warned people to be considerate if using Chinese lanterns, taking extra care near thatched properties and near fields containing crops or cattle.