Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2013 » May » Tumble Drier Fire

Tumble Drier Fire

The call was received just after 9.15pm and three fire engines from Redditch fire station attended. Crews arrived at the house to find a severe fire in the ground floor kitchen and the occupants safely evacuated.

The fire, involving a tumble drier in the kitchen, was extinguished with four firefighters in breathing apparatus using two hose reel jets. Positive pressure ventilation fans were also used to clear the smoke from the property.

Watch Commander Bob Morris from HWFRS said: “Thankfully the family was able to escape unharmed from the house thanks to an early alert from the smoke alarm.”

He confirmed that crews brought the blaze under control very quickly but that there was extensive fire damage in the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the whole house.

HWFRS is urging everyone to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted in their homes and that they test them regularly. An early alert from a working smoke alarm really can save lives.