Fire Sparks Call to Individuals Responsible for Commercial Premises
Around 5:30pm on Wednesday 27th October 2010, Evesham firefighters were called to reports of a property fire. Two fire crews arrived at the scene to find a derelict hotel in Waterside Evesham with a fire at the rear of the building affecting a fire escape door. Firefighters used breathing apparatus and a hose-reel to bring the fire under control – halting the potential spread to other nearby commercial premises.
After the building was ventilated, Station Manager Phil Griffiths said; "The prompt actions of fire crews when they first arrived on scene clearly prevented the spread of fire to neighbouring properties. Fires involving commercial premises can cause significant losses. I would like to remind those in charge of premises to ensure they have a good regime in place for clearing rubbish and other waste materials promptly – as these items repeatedly feature in many of the incidents we attend, affecting both occupied and derelict premises."
West Mercia Police also attended at the time. The fire is under investigation.
Further advice for business fire safety can be found by; visiting the Fire Service website www.hwfire.org.uk or, contacting a Technical Fire Safety Officer at one of our district centres…
Hereford 01432 347 031
Kidderminster 01562 512612
Malvern 01684 572948