Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » December » A Working Smoke Alarm Saves Christmas

A Working Smoke Alarm Saves Christmas

Crew Commander John Bristow of HWFRS said: "A small fire had started after the occupiers had left cooking unattended and become distracted. Fortunately the property had working smoke alarms fitted so the occupiers had early warning and followed good fire safety advice, closing doors behind them as they exited the property and called the Fire Brigade.


"With doors closed the fire had extinguished prior to our arrival, the kitchen was checked and ventilated and the occupiers were allowed to return to their premises."

At around 3.45pm the same afternoon, a fire appliance was called to another property in Newcastle Close, Worcester, after cooking in an unattended microwave had caught fire triggering an automatic fire alarm. The fire was out when firefighters arrived on scene and crews used natural ventilation to clear smoke logging.

Crew Commander Bristow continued: "With the exception of a spoilt Christmas dinner the damage at both incidents was minor. It was a case of Santa's little helper being the working smoke alarms on the ceiling!"

He reminded people that smoke alarms should be tested weekly and that batteries should be changed annually, "New Year, New Battery!" is a good way to remember to change that old battery and stay safe.