Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2017 » January » Man rescued from Hereford flat fire

Man rescued from Hereford flat fire

in News

Early yesterday morning (29 January), firefighters rescued a man from a flat fire in Springfield Avenue, Hereford. The Service was called at approximately 3:45am and three crews from Hereford Fire Station attended the incident.

Once at the flat, firefighters broke down a door to rescue the man inside before tackling the blaze using breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet. The man and one further person from the flat above were treated by paramedics at the scene.

Initial findings suggest that the fire started in the kitchen and was cooking related.

Following this incident, Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is asking people to make sure that their smoke alarms are up to date, in the right place, and tested every week.

Station Commander Stuart Crebbin said: "A smoke alarm can give someone the few vital extra seconds they need to escape in a fire, therefore it is so important that they are kept in working order."

He concluded: "For most of us, there is nothing more important than keeping our loved ones safe and secure. If you have a family friend, or a relative that would benefit from a free Home Fire Safety Check then give us a call on 0800 032 1155 quoting reference NEWS to see if they would qualify for a check".

To keep your alarms in working order:

  • Test your smoke alarm every week;
  • Check the packaging for your smoke alarm to make sure it's still up to date;
  • Make sure there is at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home;
  • Fit smoke alarms on landings and hallways and in rooms which have an electrical appliance, e.g. a heater, or other risk; and
  • Take a moment to check on your loved ones who may need help to ensure they're fully protected.

Further safety advice can be found at http://www.hwfire.org.uk/safety-and-advice/home-safety/