Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2010 » September » Firefighters tackle roof fire

Firefighters tackle roof fire

Firefighters tackle roof fire

Crews from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service were called to South Littleton in Evesham yesterday evening (Wednesday 29 September) following reports that the roof of a large mansion in Main Street was on fire. 


The call came through just before 7pm and two fire appliances from Evesham were at the five-storey property within minutes. Quickly assessing the situation, they called for two further appliances from Pebworth and Broadway to attend along with the aerial ladder platform and support pump from Worcester.

Two firefighters in breathing apparatus tackled the fire from inside the house, cutting back the roof to expose the batons. Firefighters also worked at height externally, using a roof ladder, a 9-metre ladder plus the aerial ladder platform, and the fire was brought under control by 9.25pm.

Police also attended, helping with traffic management and local road closures during the incident.

Station Manager Toby Kempton, who managed the incident, said: "The fire was at a fantastic private house that has been extensively renovated over a number of years, and thanks to the actions of the first fire officers to arrive at the scene, damage was kept to a minimum and the fire did not spread much beyond the point of origin.

"The fire, believed to have been caused by an electrical fault, broke out in the wooden roof area immediately above a large dining room in the house. The occupants noticed it in its very early stages and were able to evacuate safely and raise the alarm.

"While a large area of the roof was cut back to ensure the fire was fully extinguished and there was some smoke damage inside the top floor area, we believe this fire had the potential to be far more serious than it was. From a firefighter's perspective, this is certainly what we'd call a 'good stop'."