Test your smoke alarms every week
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is asking people to make sure that their smoke alarms are up to date, in the right place and that they test them every week. Why not circle every Tuesday on your calendar and tick it off when you have tested your alarms?
This month HWFRS is encouraging everyone to make sure they have enough smoke alarms in the home and that they work. It only takes a few seconds and saves lives.
A smoke alarm can give someone the few extra seconds they need to escape in a fire. While the majority of homes across the country now have an alarm fitted, most people are not aware that the average alarm has a lifespan of just ten years and then needs replacing.
To keep your alarms in working order:
- Test your smoke alarm every week;
- Check the packaging for your smoke alarm to make sure it's still up to date;
- Make sure there is at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home;
- Fit smoke alarms on landings and hallways and in rooms which have an electrical appliance, e.g. a heater, or other risk; and
- Take a moment to check on your loved ones who may need help to ensure they're fully protected
Station Commander Stuart Crebbin, HWFRS said: "A smoke alarm can offer vital protection for you and your loved ones, but most people simply fit and forget – they don't know if it might be coming to the end of its lifespan or not working at all.
He concluded: "For most of us, there is nothing more important than keeping our loved ones safe and secure. If you have a family friend, or a relative that would benefit from a free Home Fire Safety Check then give us a call on 0800 032 1155 quoting reference NEWS to see if they would qualify for a check".
Community Risk Support Manage