Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » October » Washing Machine Fire

Washing Machine Fire

The call was received at 9.40am and two crews from Kidderminster attended.

The occupier had heard a noise from her washing machine and then called the Fire Service on noticing smoke coming from the back of it. Her smoke alarm also activated.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the kitchen, isolated the electrics and used one hose reel to extinguish the fire before moving the washing machine outside. They then used positive pressure ventilation equipment to help clear the smoke from the house.

Watch Commander Mike Jenkins from HWFRS said: “Fortunately the woman was nearby when the washing machine developed a problem and she was able to call for help quickly, which kept smoke and fire damage to a minimum.

“However, this is a good reminder to us all that it is safer to use electrical appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers etc while you are around at home, rather than setting them to start as you leave the house or go up to bed at night.

“On this occasion, the woman heard a popping sound from her washing machine and so had realized very quickly that there was a problem, but her smoke alarm also activated just moments later when there was still only very light smoke. Again, this shows the importance of having a working smoke alarm and we would urge everyone to ensure they have an alarm fitted on each floor of their home and that each alarm is tested regularly.”