Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2018 » November » Electrical extension cable cause of Cotheridge House Fire

Electrical extension cable cause of Cotheridge House Fire

The investigation of the fatal house fire in Cotheridge on Sunday 28 October has concluded that it was accidentally caused by the over-heating of an unwound electrical extension reel located under furniture.

The fire claimed the lives of a 21 year old male and an 18 year old female, who were found deceased inside the house by firefighters from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service.

Fire Investigation officers from HWFRS have worked with West Mercia Police to identify the cause of the fire.

Detective Inspector Mark Roberts said: "Sadly, two young lives were taken in a house fire on Sunday (28 October) evening in Cotheridge. Formal identification has not yet taken place.

He continued: "We will continue to support the families through this tough time."

"Our thoughts are with the families of the deceased following this accident," said Area Commander Mark Preece of HWFRS. "We would encourage everyone to be aware of the risks and safe operation of electrical home appliances and especially of extension cables.

"Overloaded sockets, frayed or worn cables, and extension cables which are 'daisy-chained' or overheat under materials such as bed clothes or rugs, can become hot and ignite combustible materials around them.

"Making these simple checks in our own homes could help avert another tragedy."