Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » July » Flat Fire Worcester

Flat Fire Worcester

An occupant from the ground floor flat noticed smoke in the premises and raised the alarm shortly after 2.15am, and three fire crews from Worcester attended, arriving to find a severe fire in the kitchen of the ground floor flat and the occupants safely evacuated.

Four firefighters in breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets and one covering jet were used as the fire was extinguished, and crews then used positive pressure ventilation equipment to remove smoke from the premises.

There was major fire damage in the kitchen of the ground floor flat as well as extensive heat and smoke damage in the stairwell and landing area leading to the other flats in the building.

One man was also taken by ambulance to hospital with minor smoke inhalation. He had remained inside the first floor flat, next to an open window, while the fire was brought under control, with a firefighter offering him reassurance throughout the incident from a position at the top of a ladder outside the window.

Station Commander Ian Jallands from HWFRS said: "This was a serious fire. Sadly, a cat from the ground floor flat died during the incident and the occupant of an upstairs flat needed treatment after inhaling smoke. However, the smoke doors fitted at the premises were effective in preventing further fire spread throughout the building."

Confirming that the fire had started in a fridge freezer in the kitchen of the ground floor flat, he encouraged anyone purchasing used electrical appliances to ensure they have been PAT tested. He also urged people to make sure they have working smoke alarms fitted on every level of their homes and reminded anyone discovering a fire to get out, stay out and call 999.

NOTE: PAT testing is the process of testing portable electrical appliances to ensure they are safe to use and comply with Health and Safety Legislation.