Fire Service supports Electrical Fire Safety Week
Electrical Safety First's research found that 78% of people were worried about the rising costs of energy bills, and over half would use portable heaters as an alternative to keep warm this winter.
However, it was also revealed that many could put themselves and their loved ones at risk by using the heaters incorrectly. Portable heaters have caused 73 deaths, around 1000 injuries and over 3,800 fires since 2009/10, so therefore the dangers posed by using them incorrectly are very real.
The elderly are particularly vulnerable. Those aged 80 and over make up nearly 40% of the fatalities caused by portable-heater fires last year, even though 33% of people would use a portable heater to keep an older relative warm.
In order to minimise the danger, Electrical Safety First and HWFRS have produced the following guidance for heating your home safely:
- Never leave portable heaters unattended
- Never leave them on whilst sleeping
- Ensure that they are positioned well away from anything which could knock them over
- Ensure they are at least a metre away from any combustible materials, such as paper or curtains
- Never buy second hand halogen heaters
- Never power a halogen heater from an extension lead – these can easily be overloaded and cause fires
- Regularly inspect your heater for damage. If it's damaged – don't use it
On this guidance, and on the dangers posed by portable heaters, Emma Apter at Electrical Safety First said "Having a warm home this winter is something everyone deserves, so we welcome portable heaters as a low cost option at a time when energy costs are spiralling. However, it is vital that the dangers associated with these items are understood – particularly as our research suggests that people are putting themselves and their loved ones at risk by using them in an unsafe way".
Station Commander Alan Haley, Community Risk department, HWFRS continued "With winter approaching, people will be considering the costs of heating their homes and many will be seeking cheaper alternatives. Yet the cost counting may not stop there if portable heaters are used incorrectly. Instead of saving money, you could be looking at fire, injury and even death. It is therefore vital that people take our messages on board and follow the advice provided".