Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » December » Garage fire

Garage fire

Crews from Bewdley, Kidderminster (x2) and Bromsgrove were called to the property in Middlefield Lane just before 7pm on Sunday evening (9 December) after the occupants noticed the fire.

The blaze was brought under control shortly after 9pm with eight firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets and one covering jet used.

Watch Commander Chris White from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) said: “The occupants realised there was a fire when the lights in their kitchen flickered and they heard the crackle of flames coming from the garage. They did exactly the right thing by calling the Fire Service and then staying outside their house until help arrived.”

He explained that the while the garage and contents were destroyed in the blaze, the rest of the house was largely unaffected as building regulations had been followed to the letter, with the correct type of fire door used between the kitchen and the garage. There were working smoke alarms fitted but the smoke had not come through the fire door.

The cause of the fire is being linked to an extension lead being used in the garage, and HWFRS is reminding anyone using extension leads to ensure the cable is fully uncoiled to prevent overheating and the risk of fire.