Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2015 » November » Fire Service supports Electrical Fire Safety Week

Fire Service supports Electrical Fire Safety Week

in News

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is supporting Electrical Fire Safety Week, which is running this week.

New research from Electrical Safety First has revealed that animal lovers are putting millions of beloved pets at risk by exposing them to electrical hazards in the home.

Although 65% of pet owners said that their pet would be a greater loss than material possessions in the event of fire, the research found that two thirds of pet owners admitted to leaving mobile phones charging unattended, an increasingly frequent cause of electrical fires.

In order to minimise the danger, Electrical Safety First and HWFRS have produced the following guidance to reduce the risks of electrical fires in the home and to help householders keep their pets and all of their loved ones safe:

  • Ensure that mobile phones are not left charging for long periods of time
  • Never leave devices plugged in to charge overnight or whilst you are of the house
  • Look out for the CE mark that indicates chargers comply with EU standards
  • Don't overload plug sockets
  • Never leave appliances unattended – don't turn the dishwasher or washing machine on just before you leave the house or go to bed
  • Don't leave portable heaters switched on and unattended – this is particularly risky when pets are running around and likely to knock things over
  • Make sure you have one working smoke alarm on every level of your home and test them every week

Station Commander Alan Haley, Community Risk department, HWFRS said "We would like to urge animal lovers to follow the simple tips to help prevent fires. Fires caused by the misuse of electrical products are easy to prevent but they will keep increasing unless people understand the simple things that can and do cause them. A house fire can have devastating and long term effects, not only destroying belongings and memories but also putting the lives of loved ones at risk".

Issued by:
Emma Roberts
Senior Community Risk Administrator
01905 368238