Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » March » Cooking Warning - Re-issued

Cooking Warning - Re-issued

in News

Two fire engines from Worcester attended the Henwick Road flat following an alert at around 7.20pm yesterday evening (Sunday 13 March). 

On arrival, firefighters made sure that a fire that had broken out in a stove in the ground floor kitchen was fully extinguished and then used positive pressure ventilation to help clear smoke from the flat and from the first floor flat above it.

The fire is believed to have been caused by oven chips left unattended in the communal kitchen area of the student accommodation.

Station Commander Mark Strutt from H&WFRS explained: "Fortunately there were no injuries as a result of this fire but it could easily have been a different story.

"We have chosen to highlight this incident to encourage everyone to recognise the dangers of leaving their cooking unattended and to take extra care themselves in the kitchen."

Explaining how important it is to keep a watchful eye on cooking at all times, he also stressed the importance of having a working smoke alarm fitted in the home.