Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » July » Warning following fire at thatched property

Warning following fire at thatched property

This follows a fire at a cottage in Ashton Under Hill near Evesham at around 5.25am this morning (Monday 18 July). Two fire engines from Evesham were sent along to the address after the occupants found a fire in their oil fired stove. 


While the fire was actually out as crews arrived, the Fire Service is keen to use the incident to highlight the importance of having smoke detectors fitted in the home.

Station Commander Phil Griffiths from H&WFRS said: "Fortunately the occupants were alerted to the fire by the smell of smoke and there was no one injured and no damage to the property. However, they didn't have a working smoke alarm fitted and we feel the outcome could easily have been very different, particularly as they live in a thatched cottage."

He confirmed that H&WFRS had arranged a Home Fire Safety Visit where they would be installing smoke detectors and offering the family advice on other aspects of fire safety specific to their home.

He ended: "A working smoke alarm is essential for every home. An early alert can be the difference between minor inconvenience or major damage and injury, and we'd urge everyone to get smoke alarms fitted on each level of their home and to get into the habit of testing them regularly."