Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2016 » June » Fire Service issues safety advice following two tumble dryer fires

Fire Service issues safety advice following two tumble dryer fires

in News

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is issuing safety advice after two incidents involving tumble dryers took place over the weekend.

Station Commander Alan Haley from the Community Risk Department said: "Over the weekend, the Service attended two fires involving tumble dryers. Luckily the fires were swiftly extinguished and there were no injuries.

"Nevertheless, the effects of fire can be devastating and we strongly encourage people to take note of our safety advice regarding tumble dryers."

The Service urges people to follow the below tumble dryer safety advice:

  • Always follow the manufacturer's instructions
  • Don't use tumble dryers at night or while unattended
  • Clean the filters regularly to ensure they do not become blocked with fluff
  • Items should be removed from the dryer immediately after the cycle and shaken loose to assist cooling
  • Don't overload plug sockets- ensure that no more than 13 amps are in any one plug socket.
  • Discontinue use of any appliances with loose wires or frayed leads, with hot or scorched plugs and sockets, or where fuses blow frequently or lights flicker. These can all be signs that the appliance is dangerous to use so have it checked by an electrician or replace it.

The Local Government Association (LGA), which represents 48 fire and rescue authorities in England and Wales, is also calling on leading manufacturers to recall faulty tumble dryers which have been linked to thousands of fires caused by excess fluff contacting heating elements.

Station Commander Haley added: "A number of tumble dryer brands are reviewing the safety of their products so we would urge owners of 'Hotpoint', 'Indesit' & 'Creda' tumble dryers (manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015) to check the website http://safety.hotpoint.eu to see if their appliance is affected."

He concluded: "The importance of smoke alarms cannot be underestimated as they can ultimately save your life. Please ensure that you have one on every level of your home and test them each week."

Further advice on fire safety can be found at www.hwfire.org.uk

Issued by:
Jessica Chadwick
Corporate Communications Manager
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service
Tel: 01905 368 319