Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » January » Boiler room fire, Wythall

Boiler room fire, Wythall

Two fire crews from Redditch and one from Bromsgrove attended and found the building safely evacuated but one male suffering from smoke inhalation. He was given emergency oxygen therapy by firefighters at the scene and then handed into the care of ambulance staff.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus then went into the building and used a carbon dioxide (CO2) extinguisher and thermal imaging equipment as they tackled the fire, which had broken out in a boiler room in the basement.

Positive pressure ventilation equipment was then used to clear the smoke from the building, and staff were allowed back inside.

Station Commander Steve Fox from HWFRS said: “The fire involved a rubber fan belt which is believed to have shredded and caused heavy smoke logging in the affected area.

“A man who had responded to the activation of the alarm at the premises was given emergency treatment for smoke inhalation but otherwise, the workforce evacuated safely in line with their planned fire safety procedures, and the fire was extinguished by 9.45am, with only minimal damage in the boiler room.”