Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » January » Unsafe electric blankets replaced

Unsafe electric blankets replaced

in News

Of the 88 electric blankets brought along to be tested at Amphlett Hall on Wednesday 25 January, a total of 39 failed the checks and were deemed unsafe to use.

Caroline Webster, Community Safety Advisor with Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) said: “This safety testing session was part of a joint initiative between the Fire Service and Age UK which aimed to promote a range of services available to older people in the local community as well as fire safety advice.

“While it’s concerning that 44% of the blankets tested at the event were found to be defective in one way or another, we were able to offer replacement blankets on this occasion, and it’s reassuring that the unsafe blankets will no longer be used on people’s beds.”

She urged anyone unable to make the safety testing session to take a few moments to inspect their own blankets, discontinuing use if they notice any signs of wear and tear, particularly any worn leads, scorch marks or creasing and folding.

She also confirmed that 20 Home Fire Safety Checks were arranged during the event, and so representatives from HWFRS will be visiting people in their homes to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted and escape plans in place, and to offer fire safety advice specific to their particular household.