Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2014 » January » Chip Pan Fire Kidderminster

Chip Pan Fire Kidderminster

The Service was alerted to the fire at a house in The Patios at around 6.55pm and two fire crews from Kidderminster attended. Paramedics also attended and treated a man for the effects of smoke inhalation. While the chip pan had been moved outside prior to the arrival of fire crews and damage to the property was fairly minimal, HWFRS is keen to remind people just how dangerous chip pan fires can be.

Station Commander Alan Haley from HWFRS’s Community Safety department said: “In 2011, more than half of the chip pan fires we attended in Herefordshire and Worcestershire resulted in injury.

“Hot fat can easily overheat and catch fire if left unattended, and so it’s essential to keep an eye on your cooking at all times.”

He urged people to consider using a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer or switching to oven chips as a safer option, and to avoid cooking if they feel excessively tired or they have been drinking. He also reminded people to double check that all cooking appliances have been turned off after use and that they test their smoke alarms are working on a regular basis.

Firefighters that attended the chip pan fire conducted a full home fire safety check before leaving the property and also called at other homes in the area to offer fire safety advice.