Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » March » Fire at house in Redditch

Fire at house in Redditch

The initial call was received at around 3.35pm and firefighters were at the address within minutes. They found a fire in a converted attic room which they extinguished with two firefighters in breathing apparatus and the use of one hose reel.

Electrical items and furnishings within the attic room were severely damaged as a result of the fire but the rest of the house was largely unaffected. No one was injured during the incident.

Crew Commander Milos Vasic from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service explained: "We understand that prior to our arrival, an exploding sound had been heard in the house and that two males from the adjoining property had gone inside and tackled the fire with fire extinguishers.

"While we advise that people stay out and wait for the Fire Service to arrive rather than taking personal risks themselves, their actions undoubtedly helped prevent the spread of fire from the attic room to the rest of the house."

He confirmed that while the fire was contained in the attic room, water and power supplies to the house had been affected and that Redditch Borough Council were understood to be looking at providing temporary accommodation for the occupant while services were restored.

With the combination of ongoing roadworks in the immediate area and the fire engines parked outside the property, access to Evesham Road was also restricted during the incident. While the fire was under control by around 5pm, damping down continued after this time and the last fire engine left the scene shortly after 6pm.