Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » March » Disused social club severely damaged by fire

Disused social club severely damaged by fire

The building, previously used as a social club, was significantly damaged as a result of the fire, with sections of the roof completely destroyed.

At the height of the incident, eight fire engines were in attendance, including three from Redditch, two from Bromsgrove, one from Droitwich and two from neighbouring Warwickshire (Studley and Alcester).

The Command Support Unit from Malvern and the Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) team from Droitwich also attended along with a Combined Aerial Rescue Pump (CARP) and support appliance from Nuneaton (Warks).

The fire was brought under control by around 5.40am this morning (Thursday 24 March) with firefighters in breathing apparatus, five main jets, two hose reels, a ground monitor and triple extension ladders all deployed.

The building is believed to have been empty at the time and there have been no reports of any injuries.

Describing the incident as complex to tackle, Station Commander Adrian Thompson from H&WFRS said: "On arrival we found parts of the roof, the first floor and the central section of the building on fire, but because the disused site had been boarded up and the access routes had been blocked to deter trespassers, we found it difficult to get the aerial rescue pump close enough to the building to start tackling the blaze.

"We therefore used the USAR Bobcat to help dig out the blocked access but even with the aerial platform in place, the fire was still difficult to bring under control as a large section of the roof collapsed, making it hard to get water directly onto the flames underneath it.

"There was also concern about some cylinders inside the building but thankfully as the surrounding area is largely industrial, there was no need for evacuation, and the cylinders were later confirmed as three empty LPG cylinders stored in a part of the building not involved in the fire."

He confirmed that relief crews from Pebworth and Droitwich are still at the scene, continuing to cut away and damp down to ensure the fire is fully extinguished.

The cause off the fire is unknown at this stage but will be investigated.