Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2013 » April » House fire, Alfrick

House fire, Alfrick

in News

The fire had broken out at a large detached house in Hopton Lane, empty at the time as it is in the process of being renovated. The occupiers of an adjoining cottage were woken up just before 2.30am by an intruder alarm activating in the main building. They went into the house to investigate and discovering smoke on the first floor, closed internal doors, left the property and then called the Fire Service.

Three fire crews from Worcester fire station initially attended and finding large quantities of smoke and a rapidly developing fire on the first floor, they called for additional resources, and further crews (from Malvern and Droitwich) also attended along with the Command Support Unit from Malvern.

With 12 firefighters in breathing apparatus and three hose reel jets used, the fire was extinguished within two hours, although crews remained at the property beyond this, cutting away and damping down hot spots.

The fire is believed to be fire spread from a damaged hearth construction where an open fire had been lit the previous evening.

Station Commander Adrian Thompson from HWFRS explained that a fire alarm system was planned for the property but this had yet to be completed as part of the renovation work. He said: “It was fortunate that the fire damaged wiring in the house and this caused the intruder alarm to activate and alert the occupants in the adjoining cottage.”

He praised them for their actions, adding: “Closing the doors as they left undoubtedly helped prevent further damage to this property, and fire damage was confined to just one section of the house.”

A re-inspection was carried out at 8am today to confirm the fire was fully extinguished.