Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » February » Droitwich Kitchen Fire

Droitwich Kitchen Fire

The incident happened at just before 5.20pm on Saturday 25 February in Westbury Avenue after a cake decorating toolbox containing a spray can was left near a hob. Firefighters believe that the heat from the hob caused the pressure in the can to build up which resulted in an explosion.

"We understand the lady in the property had been baking cakes and had left the box near to the hob," said Watch Commander Chris Jelfs, who is based at Droitwich Fire Station.

"We would like to issue a timely reminder to residents to ask them to store aerosol cans away from heat sources such as ovens or fires. Obviously we all use canisters around the home but they should always be stored in a cool place away from a direct heat source."

Following the incident at the property firefighters fitted further smoke alarms to the property.