Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » December » Warning following Christmas Day fire

Warning following Christmas Day fire

The Service was alerted to the incident at around 4.30pm and two crews from Worcester Fire Station attended, arriving to find a small fire in an exposed beam in the dining room of the barn conversion which they extinguished using a bucket of water. Firefighters also used thermal imaging equipment to check there was no fire spread.

No one was injured during the incident and the damage was limited to a small section of the wooden beam where the fire started.

Watch Commander Keith Peters from HWFRS confirmed that the fire was caused by a candle being placed too close to the wooden beam.

He urged anyone using candles in their home to do so with care, reminding them to place candles away from flammable objects, such as soft furnishings or bedding, and well away from wooden beams that could catch alight. He also reminded people not to leave candles burning in an unoccupied room, and to double-check all candles are out before they go out or head up to bed at night.

He added: “Thankfully this fire was noticed before it could develop any further and damage to the property was fairly minimal.”

He also reminded people to check their smoke alarms are working, explaining that an early alert from a smoke alarm can give vital extra seconds to escape a fire in the home.