Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » December » Book now to get your chimney swept!

Book now to get your chimney swept!

in News

Fire crews were alerted to the incident at around 12.15am on Saturday morning (26 November) and two fire engines from Bromyard were sent to the address, located just off the A4103 near Castle Frome.

Crews used two hose reels, chimney rods and working at height gear to tackle the fire in the woodburner, bringing it under control by 1.35am.

Station Commander Neil Lilwall from H&WFRS said: "Firefighters removed the flue from the woodburner and found a large amount of debris inside it which undoubtedly will have contributed to the outbreak of fire.

"Fortunately the fire was contained in the flue on this occasion, but chimney fires have the potential to cause widespread damage and so we want people to be aware that this has happened and to take preventative action themselves if they have a real fire or woodburner in their home."

He explained that most chimney fires can be avoided simply by having chimneys swept regularly and burning only the correct fuels for the particular type of fire.

He added: "Don't take chances. Book an appointment now to have your chimney swept if you haven't done so already this winter, and also make sure you have a working smoke alarm fitted on every floor of your home."