Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2015 » December » Fire Service gives kitchen fire safety advice

Fire Service gives kitchen fire safety advice

in News

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is reminding residents not to leave their cooking unattended after crews were called to a number of kitchen fires over the festive period.

HWFRS is reminding people to keep an eye on their cooking at all times and to get into the habit of switching off all cooking appliances after use, and double-checking this before going out or going to bed at night.

Station Commander Alan Haley from the Community Risk department said "Nearly half of all house fires the Service attends start in the kitchen and we would remind people to keep an eye on their cooking at all times and to be sure that books, magazines, tea-towels and any flammable items are kept well away from the stove."

Kitchen safety tips:

  • Keep your cooker and grill pan clean, burnt food and fat causes fires
  • Turn off all electrical appliances and pull out the plugs when not using them
  • Cooking becomes dangerous if you drink alcohol, you could become drowsy and not be as safe as you think
  • Do not use a toaster under a cupboard
  • If you use a chip pan, never fill it more than a third full and stay with it all the time
  • Washing machines, tumble driers and dishwashers can also catch fire and therefore we advise not to leave these on when you leave the house or go to bed.

Station Commander Haley also stressed the importance of having smoke alarms installed on every level of your home and testing them on a weekly basis.

For further information on fire safety, please click here.

Issued by Emma Roberts,
Senior Community Risk Administrator
01905 368238