Jump to main content

Requesting your information

Home » Your right to know » Access to information » Requesting your information

From 25 May 2018 personal data will be held and used by the Service in accordance with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

GDPR will provide living individuals with the right to access their personal information held and used by the Service as the Data Controller. It governs how the Service can use personal information; including how we acquire, store, share or dispose of it. It also allows you to ask the Service to check the accuracy of your data, to alter any inaccuracies or delete data held on file.

Personal information held by the Service can only be accessed by:

  • Service staff who have a legitimate reason to do so, for example Human Resources Department staff reviewing employment records.
  • You (the Data Subject)
  • Someone acting on your behalf with your written permission
  • Where there is a valid legal reason to see or share your data, for example passing a welfare concern onto the NHS.

How do I access my personal data?

  • Write to or speak to the Performance & Information Department at the address below
  • Provide your name and full contact address, either postal or e-mail
  • Include proof of your identity, for example, driving licence, birth certificate or ID card
  • If someone else is acting on your behalf, you need to provide us with a written statement that you have given your permission for them to access your data for you
  • Provide as much detail as you can about the information you want
  • If possible you give an indication of where this information may be found / recorded. For example:
    • I would like a copy of my personnel records, which are held by the Human Resources and Development Department.

What the Service will do

  • Acknowledge your request
  • Contact you if we need further details
  • Let you know if there is a cost – this is only if you are asking us for copies of information we have already provided.
  • Action your request within one calendar month – However this can be extended by a further two months if your request is particularly complex
  • If you want an electronic version of your personal data, then we will provide it in a commonly used and machine-readable format i.e.CSV spread sheet, providing you provided us with the information initially, e.g. when asking for a Home Fire Safety visit.
  • Give you a photocopy of any paper records.
  • Tell you what data we hold on you and why, where it came from and who we may have shared it with. We will also:
    • tell you if your data is transferred internationally
    • confirm how long we normally keep the data (retention period)
    • let you know how to ask for your data:
      • to be amended
      • to be only used for a specific purpose
      • to object to it being used
      • to have it deleted
    • provide you with details of how to raise a concern with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO)
  • If your request is clearly unfounded or excessive, we can refuse to provide you with the data. In such cases, we will explain our reasons and try to find a solution to your request. We will also give you details of how to make a complaint to the Service or to the ICO.

Where do I send my request?

Please send all requests for personal data or queries about an existing request to:

Performance & Information Department
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service HQ
Hindlip Park

E-mail: IR@hwfire.org.uk
Telephone number 0345 122 4454 (local rate number) or 01905 368310

How do I complain?

If you would like to request a review into the management of your request or would like to raise a concern, please use the Service's Comments and Complaints process.

What if I am still not happy?

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the internal assessment, you have the right to appeal directly to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). The ICO is the UK's independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals and may be contacted at the following address:

The Office of the Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate number)
E-mail: casework@ico.gsi.gov.uk
Live Chat: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/live-chat/
Website: www.ico.org.uk