Stay Gas Safe by getting appliances checked

Gas safety week web header v1

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service is encouraging all consumers to have their gas appliances checked annually by a Gas Safe-registered engineer.

Ensuring they are working safely and efficiently helps protect against the dangers of unsafe products such as fires, leaks, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

HWFRS is pledging its support to the 13th
annual Gas Safety Week (11-17 September).

The service attended 111 gas-related incidents from January 2013 up until the end of July 2023 with 46 involving fire and 31 responses to carbon monoxide leaks.

They sadly resulted in 16 fatalities with 144 people receiving injuries and 21 escaping uninjured.

Emma Roberts, HWFRS Head of Prevention, said: “I would urge people to ensure they have their appliances checked by a professionally-qualified Gas Safe engineer.

“This will provide vital protection against the dangers of unsafe gas appliances, not only from fires, leaks and explosions but also carbon monoxide poisoning.

“It’s also important, as we face rising energy bills, not to risk your health or mental welfare by tackling ‘fuel poverty’ by reducing heating, hot water or cooking or skipping necessary gas appliance repairs or servicing to save on cash.

“I’d also encourage everyone to keep an eye on elderly or vulnerable relatives and neighbours who may be particularly struggling at the moment.”

Jonathan Samuel, Chief Executive Officer for Gas Safe Register, said: “It’s great to have the support of Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service this Gas Safety Week.

“By working together we can reach more people and help to reduce the number of dangerous gas appliances that could be lurking in the homes of the UK’s 23 million gas consumers.

“Prioritise safety first and always use a qualified Gas Safe-registered engineer to fit, fix or service your gas appliances.”

Stay gas safe by following these top tips:

  • Sign up to a free annual gas safety check reminder service at
  • Be aware of the signs that an unsafe gas appliance may cause such as a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame, soot or staining on or around the appliance or excess condensation in the room.
  • Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO gas is known as the ‘silent killer’ as it has no smell, taste or colour. The symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness which can easily be mistaken for something else.
  • Always ask to see an engineer’s Gas Safe ID card and check it to ensure the engineer is qualified to work on the appliance in question.

To find out about dangers in your area visit and for a Gas Safe-registered engineer call 0800 408 5500 or visit

Anyone who thinks they might qualify for a free Home Fire Safety Visit can call the HWFRS Prevention team on 0800 032 1155.

People can complete a free online Home Fire Safety Check at