HWFRS reminder over use of extension leads

House fire.

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people of the dangers of misusing extension leads after fire ravaged a home in Redditch.

Six crews were called to the house fire in Well Close last Thursday which severely damaged the first floor and roof space as well as partly affecting two neighbouring properties.

The HWFRS Urban Search and Rescue team attended to shore up the home due to risk of collapse while a woman in her 40s and a firefighter received precautionary checks from the West Midlands Ambulance Service after the blaze on a warm day.

Fire investigator, Station Commander James Holder, said “daisy-chaining of extension leads” was believed to have contributed to the accidental electrical fire.

Daisy-chaining is when two or more extension leads are connected to each other.

James said: “We would recommend that people buy good quality extension leads and ensure they are correctly fused.

“It is not recommended to overload them – for example three larger appliances such as heaters in one extension lead – nor to link them as in daisy-chaining.

“This fire in Redditch resulted in a complete burn-out of the bedroom and it had gone into the roof space.

“The whole house was wrecked by fire, heat, smoke or water.”