Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service pledges support for Gas Safety Week 2021
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service has pledged its support for Gas Safety Week (13 -19 September 2021) and is encouraging awareness of gas safety and urging the public to keep themselves safe from dangerous gas appliances.
Coordinated by Gas Safe Register, the eleventh annual Gas Safety Week is encouraging organisations from across the UK to work together, to encourage all gas consumers to ensure they have their gas appliances checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer and protect against the dangers of unsafe gas appliances, such as fires, leaks, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
With increased deaths and gas-related injuries over the years, it is crucial that people have their appliances checked each year to be assured they are working safely and efficiently.
- There are 23 million gas consumers in the UK
- 1 in 6 homes has a dangerous gas appliance
- Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste
- Carbon monoxide poisoning affects over a thousand people each year and can be fatal.
- Anyone working on gas appliances while not being registered is working illegally.
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service’s Prevention Manager Emma Roberts, said:
“I would urge people to ensure they have their appliances checked by a professionally qualified Gas Safe engineer.
“This will provide vital protection against the dangers of unsafe gas appliances, not only from fires, leaks, explosions but also carbon monoxide poisoning.
“People should ‘Trust the Triangle’ and check that their engineer is Gas Safe registered. Anyone working on gas appliances while not being registered is working illegally.”
Stay Gas Safe at home: what to think about
Although Gas safety is important all year round, it isn’t always a household’s top priority. With the pandemic still affecting our lifestyles and many people still staying inside, it’s vital that everyone remains aware of gas safety dangers at home - such as gas leaks, fire, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning - and the importance of only using a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out gas work.
Stay Gas Safe at home this Gas Safety Week by following these top tips:
- Sign up to a free annual gas safety check reminder service at www.staygassafe.co.uk.
- Be aware of the signs that an unsafe gas appliance may cause, eg: a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame on your gas hob, soot, dark sooty staining on or around the appliance, excess condensation inside windows, pilot lights that frequently blow out
- Increased condensation inside windows.
- ‘Trust the Triangle’, always ask to see an engineer’s ‘Gas Safe’ ID card and inspect it to make sure the engineer is qualified to check or fit the appliance in question.
- Go to GasSafetyWeek.co.uk for a wealth of tips and advice about staying Gas Safe.
How to stay gas safe
- Get your gas appliances checked annually by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm marked EN 50291 which carries the British Standards Kitemark.
- Learn about dangers in your area at www.StayGasSafe.co.uk and find a Gas Safe registered engineer by calling 0800 408 5500 or visiting www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk
- If you're concerned there is immediate danger, call the gas emergency helpline on 0800 111 999 (mainland GB), 0800 002 001 (Northern Ireland) or look up the number for your UK region at http://bit.ly/gasemergency.
- What is carbon monoxide and what causes it?
- Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas which has no taste, colour or smell and is known as the ‘silent killer’. It can make you feel seriously ill and can kill quickly without warning.
- It can be produced when poorly maintained, incorrectly fitted or badly repaired appliances do not burn gas completely.
What are the physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and what to do if you feel ill?
- It can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness, collapse, loss of consciousness.
- If you're suffering from any of the symptoms but feel better when you leave the house, it could be CO poisoning.
- If you're concerned you or someone in your household may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure you contact your GP, who can check and advise if you need treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning.
Emma Roberts concluded: “Just call us any time between 09:00 and 17:00 on 0800 032 1155, and speak to one of our experts for help and advice.”