Outdoor fire safety reminder
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) has recently attended a number of outdoor fires so is reminding people to take extra care as they make the most of the weather and enjoy the outdoors.
As lockdown eases and the weather gets warmer, it is tempting to have barbecues and spend time outside however the danger of barbecuing is multiplied when you are away from a safe, home environment. Nevertheless, even when you are barbecuing at home, you should be extra vigilant and follow safety advice to ensure that your barbecue is a safe and enjoyable event.
If not used safely, barbecues can result in flames spreading to surrounding sheds, fences and trees and in some cases people suffering from burns.
With all this in mind, HWFRS is asking people to take note of the following safety advice:
- Avoid using open fires in the countryside.
- • Keep young children and ball games away from barbecues.
- • Only use barbecues in suitable and safe areas and never leave them unattended.
- • Ensure your barbecue is fully extinguished and cold before disposing of the contents.
Bonfires are also very common in the warmer weather, but can get out of control very easily. If you want to burn off garden waste, here’s some safety advice:
- Site any bonfire well away from buildings, fences, trees and garden structures
- Don’t light a bonfire on a windy day, as it could flare up more than you expect
- Never use flammable liquids such as petrol or paraffin to start a bonfire
- Don’t burn foam filled furniture, aerosols, bottles or paints
- Keep people, especially children away from the fire. If children are present, ensure they are supervised at all times
- Never leave a bonfire unattended
- Have a garden hose to hand in case the fire starts to get out of control
- Always pour water over embers to ensure a bonfire is fully extinguished before leaving it
- If a fire should get out of hand, dial 999 and call the Fire and Rescue Service at once
Further information on fire safety can be found at www.hwfire.org.uk