Don’t forget to turn off appliances when out of the house
With warmer weather here and lockdown restrictions easing, Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is reminding people to turn off electrical appliances (e.g. tumble dryers or dishwashers) when out of the house.
From faulty appliances left unattended to overloaded plugs, electrical equipment can be an unnoticed fire hazard in the home. Nevertheless, many electrical fires can be prevented just by checking that the electrical equipment in your home is in good shape and is operated properly.
Station Commander Thom Morgan said: “Half of all accidental fires start with an electrical appliance so it is vital that you check your electrics are in good working order and used properly.
“It also important to unplug things are aren’t in use and turn things off when you're out of the house and at night. Everyone should also have working smoke alarms on every level of their home and test them on a regular basis.”
HWFRS also encourages people to take note of the following advice:
- Don’t overload plug sockets
- Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
- Unplug appliances when not in use
- Keep appliances clean and in good working order
- Always plug major appliances, like refrigerators, washers and dryers directly into a wall outlet.
Further safety advice can be found at www.hwfire.org.uk