Barbecue warning after fire at Hereford homes

Fire caused by barbecue in Wyedean Rise

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is urging people to take care with barbecues after two houses were badly damaged in Hereford.

Seven HWFRS crews plus the aerial ladder platforms from Worcester and Hereford Fire Stations attended the fire in Wyedean Rise on Monday.

The roof spaces of both properties ended up well alight but a fire investigation revealed it had all started with a barbecue in the garden.

Fire investigator, Station Commander James Holder, said: “A charcoal barbecue had been used and left unattended too close to a fence and the overhang of a garage roof.

“That is where the fire started and it ended with two properties being really badly damaged.

“We would urge people to keep their barbecues well away from buildings, sheds, fences, trees, shrubs or garden waste.”

As well as the damage to the Hereford homes, a male casualty in his 40s was left in the care of the ambulance service.

By following the Fire Kills campaign’s top tips, you can ensure your barbecue is a safe, enjoyable event.

  • Never leave a lit barbecue unattended
  • Never use a barbecue indoors
  • Make sure your barbecue is well away from sheds, fences, trees, shrubs or garden waste
  • Keep children, pets and garden games away from the cooking area
  • After cooking, make sure the barbecue is cool before moving it
  • Use enough charcoal to cover the base of the barbecue but not more
  • Empty ashes onto bare garden soil, not into dustbins or wheelie bins. If they’re hot, they can melt the plastic and cause a fire
  • Enjoy yourself but don’t drink too much alcohol if in charge of the barbecue
  • Always keep a bucket of water, sand or a garden hose nearby for emergencies
  • Only use ignitable liquids intended for use with barbecues. Petrol should not be used