Sharp-eyed sisters’ swift action prevents an even worse disaster for young family

placeholder image

The early action of two young women out on their evening exercise in Redditch could have prevented a major tragedy.

The pair, who are sisters, noticed smoke coming from the garage of a home in Oakenshaw Road so they called the fire service.

They then banged on the door of the house which was occupied by a family of four with two young children.

Everyone was able to escape from the house but a severe fire went on to destroy the garage and spread up into the main roof.

Swift and decisive action by the fire crews prevented the fire, which was caused by an electrical fault, from spreading into the house next door.

The only injury was to the father of the two young children who suffered minor burns to a hand.

“In these challenging times, it’s great news that the family was able to escape to safety with just one of the occupants of the house suffering a minor injury,” said Station Commander Jon Laight, the senior officer at the scene.

“But it’s a good opportunity to remind people to take extra care at the moment, not to keep too many items in their garages or the rooms of their homes and to remember the basics of electrical fire safety:

  • Don’t overload plug sockets
  • Regularly check for worn or frayed wires
  • Keep appliances clean and in good working order
  • Never leave portable heaters unattended
  • Never leave them on while sleeping
  • Ensure that they are positioned well away from anything which could knock them over
  • Ensure they are at least a metre away from any combustible materials, such as paper or curtains
  • Regularly inspect your heater for damage. If it’s damaged – don’t use it
  • Unplug appliances when not in use