Please avoid using self-heating meal kits indoors

Self Heating Meal.

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service would like to warn residents against the use of self-heating meal kits indoors.  These kits are ingenious, they rely upon an ‘exothermic’ (heat producing) chemical reaction produced by adding water to a base; upon which food is placed.

Crews from HWFRS have attended incidents where these kits have been used in a confined space, setting off the Carbon Monoxide Alarm.  While these products aren’t dangerous when used outside or when camping due to adequate ventilation, using them inside can expose you to dangerous Carbon Monoxide gas that’s released during the reaction.

Please only use they kits as instructed and NEVER indoors.